What is a Side by Side ATV?
If you’re an adrenaline junkie or love outdoor adventures, you might have heard about side by side ATVs. These four-wheelers are becoming increasingly popular for off-road enthusiasts. But what exactly is a side by side ATV, and how does it differ from other types of ATVs? In this guide, we’ll answer all your questions about side by side ATVs.
What is a Side by Side ATV? A side by side ATV is a four-wheeled vehicle designed for off-road adventures. It has two seats side by side and a roll cage for added safety. Unlike traditional ATVs, where the rider sits on the vehicle, the driver and passenger in a side by side ATV sit next to each other. These vehicles have a wider wheelbase, better suspension, and can handle rough terrain more effectively.
Advantages of Side by Side ATVs
- Spacious interior: Side by side ATVs have a spacious interior, allowing the driver and passenger to sit comfortably.
- Safety: With a roll cage and seat belts, side by side ATVs are safer than traditional ATVs.
- Customization: Side by side ATVs are highly customizable, with options for adding accessories such as roof, winch, and LED lights.
- Better suspension: The suspension in side by side ATVs is more advanced, making them ideal for off-road terrain.
- Towing capacity: Side by side ATVs have a higher towing capacity than traditional ATVs, making them useful for hauling cargo or trailers.
Key Features of Side by Side ATVs
- Engine: Most side by side ATVs have a four-stroke engine that ranges from 400cc to 1000cc.
- Drivetrain: Side by side ATVs have a rear-wheel or all-wheel drivetrain. The all-wheel drivetrain provides better traction, while the rear-wheel drivetrain is better for speed.
- Suspension: Side by side ATVs have advanced suspension systems with longer travel and better shock absorption.
- Brakes: Most side by side ATVs have hydraulic disc brakes for better stopping power.
- Tires: Side by side ATVs have larger and more durable tires, with aggressive treads that provide better traction.
Q: How fast can a side by side ATV go?
A: Side by side ATVs can reach speeds of up to 60 mph, depending on the engine size and terrain.
Q: Are side by side ATVs street legal?
A: Side by side ATVs are not street legal in most states. They are designed for off-road use only.
Q: Do side by side ATVs require a driver’s license?
A: In most states, you need a driver’s license to operate a side by side ATV. Some states may require additional certifications or training.
Q: What is the weight capacity of a side by side ATV?
A: The weight capacity of a side by side ATV varies depending on the make and model. Most side by side ATVs can carry up to 1000 pounds.
Side by side ATVs are a thrilling way to explore the great outdoors. With a spacious interior, advanced suspension, and high towing capacity, these off-road vehicles can take on any terrain. Whether you’re a seasoned off-roader or a beginner, a side by side ATV is an excellent choice for your next adventure. We hope this comprehensive guide has answered all your questions about what a side by side ATV is and its features.